Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Flaw Makers


I've been thinking about why I haven't been swept up in all the Obama craze. Perhaps it's because when I saw him at the Univision debate he wasn't having an on night. I was pretty disapointed, but that doesn't explain my growing enthusiasm for Hillary. My latest thinking is that I identify more with her because of her flaws.

Obama, personally, seems flawless. I mean he smokes and did coke. Boring, big deal. Hillary on the other hand has had every flaw pointed out in public for the last decade and a half, faced tons of hate, and somehow survived to run a serious presidential campaign. To me, that's really inspiring. She's not perfect in almost any measure, has a slightly fucked up family situation (even pre-Bill), and is just kind of an odd apple. I'm willing to admit that I identify with that.

Bob Herbet in the NY Times today commented on how Hillary supporters are more realists, and Barack supporters are more idealists. Maybe that doesn't extend outside of politics for everyone, but for me I think "realist" is a good way to describe the ways I judge a lot of things. So if Hillary supporters are, in this hackneyed thinking, more willing to admit flaws in themselves and others, are Obama supporters a bit more egotistical? I mean the man did run for the highest office in the land after only two years on the scene.

I don't mean to sound so down on Obama all the time. I honestly look forward to voting for him in 2016.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home