Sunday, April 06, 2008

I Wish I Was The Tackiest Person In The World, But Sadly I'm Not Even Close

Perhaps it's morbid, but certainly not uncommon, to search for the facebook of a recently deceased school-mate you didn't know at all. I felt a little weird when that was my instinct when an email went out this afternoon that a freshman girl at UM had been found dead bellow Hecht Residential College, possibly after falling from the exterior stairwell. It's always tragic when a young life is cut short, and it's probably normal to want to know a little bit about who was lost. My Death Space, for example, still averages about 1 million hits a day according to Alexa, and this is from people looking at the profiles of people they had no connections to. I guess I can excuse a fascination with something that we'll all eventual face.

What I do think is unquestionably morbid, and hopefully uncommon, is finding things to mock about the deceased's profile. Not in very good taste, but that didn't stop a certain obnoxious offspring of a certain director of certain 80's popcorn classics from doing it, in the middle of the crowded campus library no less. I guess he felt that the "R.I.P." postings on her wall were ridiculous, and had to let a friend who stopped to say 'hi' know. Even reading one aloud, and I mean loud. The only reason I'm even aware of this kid is because he seems to do everything loudly and for attention. He then got up and called a friend to talk about it some more.

A girl who overheard him looked at her friend and said "tacky". I agree, although I guess I'm the one who just blogged about like a blind item (I probably just should have posted this on Juicy Campus). I'm loosing my ability to gauge tackiness, but I'm pretty sure blabbering ridicule about a sensitive subject in a crowded public space is pushing the tacky limit, and writing your feelings down in a quiet corner of the internet, whether it be condolences on a facebook wall or stupid blogs, is much less so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home